Re: [Groff] bad QE in -ms

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] bad QE in -ms
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 13:11:56 +0100 (CET)

Doug McIlroy <address@hidden> wrote:
> Bad case I: [...]

It neither works in groff nor in heirloom roff as specified (in original -ms
specification).

I suggest to make .QS, .QE, .QP work as specified for traditional -ms without
any warnings.  Then there may be some redundant code in .QE and .RE but this
should not be an issue today.  Today I have no time but tomorrow I could work
on that if nobody else wants to do it.  I see no reason to be incompatible to
original -ms here.

It is ok that groff .LP/.PP restores the indent.  .QS could set a flag that is
reset by .QE and .LP/.PP so that for groff .QE is optional if it is followed by
.LP/.PP directly.

Carsten