Re: [Groff] Typesetting Markup Language (TML) - a Superset of Groff

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Markup Language (TML) - a Superset of Groff
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:09:18 +0100

"James K. Lowden" <address@hidden> wrote:
 |On Sat, 23 Jan 2016 12:17:35 -0500
 |Larry Kollar <address@hidden> wrote:
 |> IIRC, James Clark wrote the only open-source SGML parser around, and
 |> it didn?t support the full syntax. By contrast, there are XML parsers
 |> in just about every language out there including awk.
 |
 |AFAIK Clark's jade is the only free SGML parser.  While it's true that
 |it leaves certain features unsupported, I never bumped into them while
 |writing the user guide for FreeTDS.

Writing a perl script that digs SGML is pretty easy, especially if
its not for "production" industry use.

 |I suspect that SGML included minimization because it was at least
 |sometimes intended to be written by by hand.  The unfulfilled hope of

Yes, manual editing in your favourite text editor.  At least
a little bit of human notion in the tagsoup.  I never understood
XML and treated it as industry forum outcome that help some people
to take a soapy bath on some stages, which is the real show babes,
is it, and i think JSON/YAML is better if you cannot do it
manually anyway, with CBOR being a nice binary notation.

 |XML was that tools would produce and use XML, and that we humans would
 |produce and use those tools.

No.

--steffen