Re: [Groff] horizontal trap

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] horizontal trap
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 01:33:30 +0100

> A trap set just below the current output position could record
> the maximum .n seen on this page, moving the trap down each time.

Indeed, trapping output instead of input would have the added
advantage that overlong lines could be detected even if the
text was processed in fill mode.

> At the bottom of the page, if the maximum is too long, flag
> this page as a problem;  for example, .tm output, or add
> something to the page itself for searching.

But if we're only interested in flagging the output pages
with no direct connection to the location of the problematic
material in the input, then trapping every single output line
strikes me as a bit complicated.  I'd suggest simply diverting
the page contents and then testing the diversion's width.

(If one is doing multi-column output then I guess it would
be expedient to divert the output anyway, so this could be
conveniently combined with testing for overlong lines.)