[Groff] [Heirloom] Adding Fonts To Heirloom

From: Henry McGilton
Subject: [Groff] [Heirloom] Adding Fonts To Heirloom
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:04:20 -0800

I have been reading and re-reading the Heirloom instructions for
adding fonts to the collection.

Given that dpost is (apparently) a reflection of a LaserWriter II,
should I add new fonts to dpost, or should I create some new
device of my own?

There is a snippet of information in the instructions that mentions
InternalName (actually, a number between 1 and 255) for a font.

When I follow the instructions to determine the InternalName(s)
for the dpost collection, I see there are duplications, leading me to
question whether the InternalName is actually required at all.

The fonts I am adding are the Optima Family.    I am re-creating a
device from way back in DWB 2 days, where I had built a device
with Palatino, Optima, and Courier as the main performers, plus
Symbol (S and SS), Z1 and Z2 for the bottom half and top half
of Zapf Dingbats, and then ZI (Zapf Chancery Medium Italic).

Back then, old ditroff could not deal with character codes greater
than 127.

In the context of the charset that I have from back then, my Optima
charset(s) have more characters than, say, Palatino from dpost.

For example, I see that the charset in Palatino does not have an
entry for the octothorpe (#) character.  Why is this?  Does it matter
if I leave it there in my Optima fonts, or should I make my Optima
charset(s) match the template of Palatino from dpost?

I’ve been more or less out of the Doctools world ever since the
Apple compilers decided to break most of the DWB tools, in the
sense of generating hundreds of build errors.   Going to either
groff and friends or Heirloom doctools would enable  me to get
a new book project up and running in less than geological
deep time . . .

    Many Thanks For Any Suggestions,
        . . . . . . . .    Henry