Re: [Groff] figurate text in groff and TeX

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [Groff] figurate text in groff and TeX
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 06:20:46 -0400

> Is there a shaping method which provides optimal spacing whilst using traps?

In  priniciple, yes, but I haven't heard a better way of doing it
than the multiprocess dynamic program that I once outlined on this
mailing list; everyone guesses this would be too costly to run.
This is a real challenge for anyone who wants to introduce Knuthian
line-breaking into troff.

But my actual question about figurate text was how in Tex (as
distinct from the Knuth line-breaking paper) would one specify
the shape of a non-rectangular paragraph, in which line length
varies as some function of vertical position.

Doug McIlroy