Re: [Groff] Groff - weird error with line spacing

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff - weird error with line spacing
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:27:28 -0400

On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 10:30:29AM +0100, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Hog,
>
> > When piping to gv:
> >     groff -mm oops|gv -
> > The second page throws PostScript errors, the primary being "undefined in
> > BP".
> >
> > Trying with output to a file:
> >     groff -mm oops>oops.ps
> > Produces a properly formatted second page.

I have not found any evidence that  gv(1)  is documented as taking '-' as an
alias for the standard input.

Interestingly   gv /dev/stdin < manual.ps  works.

But ...
         cat manual.ps  |  gv /dev/stdin
        gv: Cannot open file /dev/stdin (No data available)

         cat manual.ps  |  ( sleep 1; gv /dev/stdin )
        gv: Cannot open file /dev/stdin (No data available)

I suspect a funny race condition involving pipes.

All my shell code using  gv  employ files named  /tmp/$$_something
when I might have used a pipe.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems