Re: [Groff] Trouble switching to groff, macro gives syntax error...

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Trouble switching to groff, macro gives syntax error...
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:30:56 +0100

Hi Marisa,

Damian wrote:
> > There is several lines of whitespace and a page number. I want the
> > first line of text to be on the first line of output and no page
> > numbers.
>
> I have never used 'groff' for such things. I am guessing it is either
> not the right tool, or will need to be postprocessed.

I'd have thought it could do what's required;  it's origins are in
fixed-width output, 10 characters per inch, six lines per inch.  Its
default page offset is 0 for TTY output.

    $ (printf '.pl 1i\n.ll 2i\n'; yes 'a \n%') | nroff | sed 13q
    a  1 a 1 a 1 a 1 a 1
    a 1 a 1 a 1 a 1 a  1
    a  1 a 1 a 1 a 1 a 1
    a 1 a 1 a 1 a 1 a  1
    a  1 a 1 a 1 a 1 a 1
    a 1 a 1 a 1 a 1 a  1
    a  2 a 2 a 2 a 2 a 2
    a 2 a 2 a 2 a 2 a  2
    a  2 a 2 a 2 a 2 a 2
    a 2 a 2 a 2 a 2 a  2
    a  2 a 2 a 2 a 2 a 2
    a 2 a 2 a 2 a 2 a  2
    a  3 a 3 a 3 a 3 a 3
    $

Perhaps -mm or any macro set is too complex for your needs and getting
in your way because they assume more normal output is required.  What is
it you're trying to achieve?  And have you come across CSTR 54?
http://troff.org/papers.html

Cheers, Ralph.