Re: [Groff] How remove title?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] How remove title?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 09:40:05 +0100

Hi Peng,

> > > I use the following command to generate a pdf file from a manpage.
> > > But the pdf file has title "Untitled".
> >
> > How odd, it doesn't here.
> I tried both Mac and Ubuntu. Both have the same problem. Did you check
> the file using Acrobat?

No, Acrobat is bloated, slow, and Adobe don't support Linux any more
IIRC.

> On Mac, command-D brings up the document property window. The title on
> Descript tab is "Untitled".

Oh, you mean the title in PDF's metadata;  I thought you meant the man
page title on the printed page!

Try altering the PostScript's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Structuring_Conventions comments
at the start to have the desired title before converting it to PS.

    $ man -t ls | sed '1s/$/\n%%Title: ls(1)/' | ps2pdf - - | pdfinfo -
    Title:          ls(1)
    Creator:        groff version 1.20.1
    Producer:       GPL Ghostscript 8.71
    CreationDate:   Sun Jun 14 09:34:08 2015
    ModDate:        Sun Jun 14 09:34:08 2015
    Tagged:         no
    Pages:          4
    Encrypted:      no
    Page size:      595 x 842 pts (A4)
    Optimized:      no
    PDF version:    1.4
    $

Perhaps the backends, like grops, should accept some \X commands to set
metadata, passing on those they understand, e.g. title.

Cheers, Ralph.