[Groff] Is setting the PO register a page trap?

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: [Groff] Is setting the PO register a page trap?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 16:36:46 +0000 (UTC)

I did a relative set of the PO (page-offset) register at the head of an ms
document
.nr PO -.25i
(I.e., I wanted it to be a quarter-inch less than its default value.)
Surprisingly to me, even though this statement was placed only once, at the
beginning of the document, its effect seems to be repeated at every page turn,
giving smaller and smaller PO's for every successive page. This doesn't seem
intuitive at all. What gives?
--dorai