Re: [Groff] Build of groff fails on NetBSD

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] Build of groff fails on NetBSD
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 08:30:36 +0100

On 11/04/15 00:07, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> Note that the problem could be reproduced on any environment
> by forcing the use of gnulib's replacement function, by passing the
> option:
>
>     gl_cv_func_wcwidth_works=no
>
> to configure.

Indeed, since it is a library linking order error.

<rant>It is a cause of continual frustration to me, that the latitude
granted by the ELF linker for misplaced shared library references, (on
Linux hosts, at any rate), doesn't punish developers for this all too
common error: I become frustrated at continually telling them that it is
their wrongly specified linking order bug which prevents their
application from linking on MS-Windows, (where no such latitude is
granted), and they may be frustrated to realize that they have been
doing it wrong, and getting away with it.  (Of course, when the
misplaced specification relates to a static library, the ELF linker will
be equally unforgiving as its Windows PE-COFF counterpart, but this is
all too often overlooked).</rant>

Keith.