Re: [Groff] Build of groff fails on NetBSD

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Build of groff fails on NetBSD
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 06:43:03 +0200 (CEST)

> It seems like a link order problem which particularly happens with
> static libraries[1].  The attached patch fixed the issue for me on
> NetBSD 6.1.4.

Thanks.  A few hours ago Bertrand sent exactly the same patch :-)
Bertrand, please proceed.

>> Given that `wcwidth' is a POSIX.1-2001 function, I think that this
>> function *should* available on your platform...
>
> When I requested the use of `wcwidth' back in 2010, I admit I wasn't
> familiar with `wchar_t' functions and didn't know that the
> implementations have so many portability issues[2], which trigger
> gnulib's emission of replacement functions.
>
> Given that the uses of `wcwidth' in font.cpp are pointless[3] and
> the automake migration has completed (nice work), perhaps groff
> could use uc_width instead?

Whatever you suggest :-) Seriously, my main motivation for asking
conversion to automake is *exactly* such issues, which should now be
easy to change and adapt.  There are also a bunch of other functions
that groff provides in libgroff but where gnulib comes certainly with
better replacements.

As usual: Patches welcome :-)