[Groff] groff, ms, and multipage boxed table

From: Bob Cannon
Subject: [Groff] groff, ms, and multipage boxed table
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 19:53:02 -0400

With help from this list a few months ago I got my landscape tables to print and preview precisely as I wanted. My tables now have enough entries to require more than one page, but only the first page is displayed. I've found .TS H and .TH and a requirement for the ms macros. I can get a multipage boxed table with the file below. That's fine. It appears, however, that since with ms doesn't handle my request for a table with 9 inch lines on an 11 inch landscape page. (The setting of page offset as 1.1i is based upon experimentation with my printer.)

Here's the essential part of my file:

.ll 9i
.pl 8.5i
.po 1.1i
.sp 0.5i
.ft B
.ce 4
Title line 1
Title line 2
Title line 3

.ft R
.ps -2
.TS H
box, expand, tab(`);
cI cI cI cI cI cI cI.
Donor`Name`Street`City`Contact`Telephone`Email
_
.TH
.T&
n l l l l c l.
100`Allendale Tire Service`123 Miller St.`Allendale, KS`Bill address@hidden
.TE

I added the .pl 8.5i after I started trying to have a multipage boxed table. Without it, I would have missing entries between the last table entry on the first page and the first table entry on the second page.

For page preview I'm using
groff -ms -t -P-l donorfile | ps2pdf - donorfile.pdf; evince donorfile.pdf

For printing I'm using
groff -ms -t -P-l donorfile | ps2pdf - donorfile.pdf; lpr donorfile.pdf