Re: [Groff] Unexpected output for \(a~

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] Unexpected output for \(a~
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:12:12 +0100

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Kunze wrote on Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 01:07:55PM +0100:

> in groff_char.7 it is specified that U+0303 is output for \(a~ but
> actually U+007E is output.  Why does the output (of nroff -Tutf8)
> differ from the specification?

It seems to me that you misread the documentation.  It reads:

  Accents
  -------

  The composite request is used to map most of the accents to non-spacing
  glyph names; the values given in parentheses are the original (spacing)
  ones.

  Output   Input   PostScript     Unicode         Notes
  ~        \[a~]   tilde          u0303 (u007E)   tilde accent

That means you get U+007E when using the character directly -
which certainly makes sense.

The combining (non-spacing) variant shown before the parenthesis
only applies in the context of the .composite request.

Yours,
  Ingo