Re: [Groff] adding non-native font directories [Was: fontconfig]

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] adding non-native font directories [Was: fontconfig]
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:28:53 -0800

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:43:18 -0500, in message
address@hidden, SGT. Garcia wrote:

> thanks for clarifying. my question however is aiming at something
> different. i think i should have asked: is it possible to use any font
> other than the ones that come with groff.

The answer to your question is "yes it is, but..."  Groff uses
PostScript Type 1 or Type 42 fonts (.pfa or .t42).  So other font
types have to be converted into something Groff can digest.  Peter
Schaffter (creator of the mom macro package, which I _highly_
recommend) has a shell script which can convert several font
types.  Surf to

    <http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-05.html#install-font>

to find it.  If memory serves, Tadziu Hoffman also has a method,
different from Peter's.  You'll have to search the mailing list
archives for to find it.  (Found it.  Date: 2013-11-12,

--Dale

--
"Rules of combat older than contact with other races.  Did not
mention aliens.  Rules' change... caught up in committee.  Not come