Re: [Groff] read-only number register

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] read-only number register
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 18:07:57 -0800

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015 19:32:18 -0500, in message
address@hidden, SGT. Garcia wrote:

> hello,
> i guess i'm looking for a glossary. for example, what's a request?
> how is it different from a macro?
> and why would one want to read the number register. i came across
> 'register' reading about font families. i can make the connection
> between what you're suggesting and what i have read here:
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/Font-Families.html>
>
> "The value at start-up is ‘T’. The current font family is available
> in the read-only number register ‘.fam’ (this is a string-valued
> register); it is associated with the current environment."

I don't know of a glossary, _per se_.  The closest to one that
I've seen is the Concept Index (Appendix K) in the Groff User's
Manual.  That said, you might want to read sections 5.5 and 5.6 of
said manual.  Those two sections cover requests and registers,
respectively.  You'll also want to read up on escapes.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
A sad spectacle.  If they be inhabited, what a scope for misery and folly.
If they be not inhabited, what a waste of space.