Re: [Groff] Blast from the past

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey
Subject: Re: [Groff] Blast from the past
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:54:20 +1100

On Tuesday, 10 February 2015 at 22:56:13 +0000, Deri James wrote:
> On Tue 10 Feb 2015 20:53:42 Jones, Larry wrote:
>> "ROFF is a program which generates microfilm and 7-track binary
>> magnetic tape for off line processing on an IBM Magnetic Tape /
>> Selectric Typewriter..."
>
> I loved my selectric.

Presumably you didn't have to maintain it.  I bought a used 735 (15"
carriage) in about 1979 and interfaced it to a Z-80.  Using Scribble
(Mark of the Unicorn) it produced acceptable output, in other words
superb output for the day.  But the machine itself was pretty
worn-out.  I can't recall varying baselines, but the interaction
between carriage return and tab caused some interesting horizontal
issues.

Was the difference between 1972 and 1980 that extreme?

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger address@hidden for PGP public key.