Re: [Groff] Blast from the past

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] Blast from the past
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:29:00 -0800

On Tue, 10 Feb 2015 21:14:26 +0100, in message
address@hidden, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:

> Heinz-Jürgen Oertel <address@hidden> wrote:
>  |Am Montag, 9. Februar 2015, 16:19:51 schrieb Peter Schaffter:
>  |> Groffers --
>  |>
>  |> I don't see any mention of this in the list archives, and it's too
>  |> wonderful to miss.  If you want a glimpse of days gone by, have a
>  |> look at
>  |>
>  |>   http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/751318.pdf
>  |I like this statement:
>  |"ROFF is a computer program which produces esthetically pleasing \
>  |manuscripts from punched card source texts."
>
> ..and i hoped that it wasn't used for producing the document in
> question, seldom have i seen such huge gaps in between words, it's
> almost unreadable (in fact i gave up after a few pages)!
>
> --steffen

Same here.  Alas, "This report is itself an example of a ROFF
generated manuscript."  Adding insult to injury, it appears to
have been printed on a (*shudder*) chain printer.  Note the
varying baseline heights.

--Dale

--
Excess on occasion is exhilarating.  It prevents moderation from
acquiring the deadening effect of a habit.    -- W. Somerset Maugham