Re: [Groff] is .NP still in ms?

From: Anton Shterenlikht
Subject: Re: [Groff] is .NP still in ms?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 01:23:31 -0800 (PST)

>From address@hidden Wed Feb  4 06:06:14 2015
>
>On 03/02/15 12:05, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>> In the "UNIX processing handbook", 1988, there is a mention of .NP
>> macro for ms macros.
>
>I assume you mean the reference on page 105, (in the PDF version of UTP,
>as produced by various subscribers to this list)?  Whilst it could have
>been more clearly expressed, I think that, in referring to it as an
>*internal* macro, it is implicit that Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
>mean an *undocumented* feature of whatever reference implementation of
>ms they were working with at the time.

I think you are right.
I've a printed version.
On p. 127 they say:

"The trick is to invoke the internal .NP (new page)
macro at the top of your text."

Then on p.489, in section "Page Transitions" they say:

*quote*
An example of this simplest of all possible macro packages follows.*

.de NP \" New page

<skip to the footnote>

*This "package" was contributed by Will Hopkins of VenturCom, Inc.
*end quote*

Thanks

Anton