Re: [Groff] is .NP still in ms?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] is .NP still in ms?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 14:29:16 +0000

Hi Anton,

> In the "UNIX processing handbook", 1988, there is a mention of .NP
> macro for ms macros.  I cannot find it groff 1.22 ms. Has it been
> dropped?

Don't know, but Debian Code Search turns up a definition for `new page',
.NP, in
http://sources.debian.net/src/9base/1:6-6/troff/tmac/tmac.s/#L925
which is -ms from Plan 9, in case that helps anyone else looking.

> Also, if I put .NP in my document, it has no effect, and no
> warnings/errors are given.  Is this normal groff behaviour - quetly to
> ingore all unrecognised macro requests?  Is there an option to issue
> warnings for all not recognised requests?

Yes, -wmac.  See
https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/html_node/Warnings.html#Warnings

    $ echo .unknown | groff >/dev/null
    $ echo .unknown | groff -wmac >/dev/null
    <standard input>:1: warning: macro `unknown' not defined
    $ echo $?
    0
    $

Cheers, Ralph.