Re: [Groff] lilypond and groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] lilypond and groff
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 08:35:47 +0100 (CET)

[please include the groff mailing list]

> qwer
> .lilypond start
> \version "2.18.2"
> \header {
>     footer = ""
>     tagline = ""
>   }
>
>   \paper {
>     indent = 0
>   }
>
> {
>   c' e' g' e'
> }
> .lilypond end
>
> The input-file is named qwer1.me

Ah, looking up an old thread in the groff mailing list, I see that you
have to suppress headers and footers too to get a tight bounding box.

  qwer
  .lilypond start
    \version "2.18.2"
    \header {
      footer = ""
      tagline = ""
    }

    \paper {
      indent = 0
      oddHeaderMarkup = #f
      evenHeaderMarkup = #f
      oddFooterMarkup = #f
      evenFooterMarkup = #f
    }

    {
      c' e' g' e'
    }
  .lilypond end

The first step is to call glilypond.

  glilypond qwer1.me > qwer-groff.me

> I groff it through
> groff -me -kpo qwer1.me > qwer1.ps

The `o' in `-kpo' is invalid if not supplied with a list of output
pages, thus you get the `bad output page list' error.  You should
rather try

  groff -me -kp qwer-groff.me > qwer-groff.ps

since option `-o' is useless for a single output page.  Of course,
for this small test document you neither need `-p' nor `-k' also.

I can now view the resulting PS file with the `gs'.  Note that for
security reasons most programs calling ghostscript as a subprocess use
its `-dSAFER' option.  This is the reason that you can't view
`qwerty.ps' with e.g. `gv' or `evince' because the lilypond snippets
use ghostscript's `.loadfont' operator, which is not allowed in safer
mode.

To get a (normal) PDF file, call ps2pdf.

  ps2pdf -dNOSAFER qwer-groff.ps

Option `-dNOSAFER' cancels the effect of `-dSAFER'.

All these details should be added to the glilypond man page.
Unfortunately, Bernd doesn't respond the last few weeks...