Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proper Small Caps.
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 23:01:06 -0500

> Steve Izma <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 07:57:25PM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
>> I recoil from text infected with capital pox, and don't see
>> small caps as much improvement. They do make sense in all-caps
>> text, but sporadic S\s-2MALL\s0 C\s-2APS\s0 or anything like
>> it is not a cure for the pox.
>
> I agree with the sentiment; titles, phrases, or quotations (etc.)
> in all-caps sound like the Emperor inscribing diktats on walls in
> order to intimidate the plebs. The vast majority of book covers
> today are in all-caps since subtlety is antithetical to
> marketing. I rarely have any influence over the covers for the
> books I typeset, but I swear that when I have the opportunity to
> design a cover I will never set the title in capitals.

The only place I need small caps for my typesetting needs (I handle formatting
for a publishing co-op) is on title pages or chapter headings. In those limited
cases, I think they look good.

I was going to try neatroff, but the compile failed on OS X. I might try
Tadziu’s cfftot1 technique next.

— Larry