Re: [Groff] Setting Text Along A Curve

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Setting Text Along A Curve
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 19:49:38 -0000 (GMT)

On 18-Jan-2015 12:32:56 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Cartsen,
>
>> Robert Thorsby wrote:
>> > I need to set some text (eg., Lorem Ipsum) along the arc of a curve
>> > (eg, a circle). The curve itself need not be visible.
>>
>> Heirloom troff has a .pshape request for that.
>
> Robert's after text that follows the path of a circle rather than a
> paragraph with indent and line length such that its shape is a circle
> AIUI.
>
> Robert, Adobe's `Blue Book' has a couple of PostScript examples that
> might be useful.  I found some copies.
>
> https://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~milanek/PostScript/Examples/blue_book/README
>
> https://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~milanek/PostScript/Examples/blue_book/Circul
> arText_10.ps
>
> https://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~milanek/PostScript/Examples/blue_book/TextAl
> ongArbPath_11.ps
>
> Cheers, Ralph.

And the "Blue Book", i.e. the "PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook"
can be downloaded (it was published in 1985) from:

  http://www-cdf.fnal.gov/offline/PostScript/BLUEBOOK.PDF

The circular text example, with its generating PostScript code, is given
as Program 10, pages 168-171, of this version, in the Cookbook section.
Program 11 (pages 172-175) gives the "Placing Text Along an Arbitrary Path"
example, along with the generating code.

Apparently it can also be downloaded also from Adobe themselves as a
zip file at:

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/sdk/sample/BlueBook.zip

(according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript -- see under
"External Links").

(And I've only just started on writing an account of this sort of
thing in groff -- I'll update you all later).

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Date: 18-Jan-2015  Time: 19:49:34