Re: [Groff] unicode characters in macro names?

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: Re: [Groff] unicode characters in macro names?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:56:50 +0000 (UTC)

I have the environment variable GROFF_ENCODING  globally set to utf8, and the
groff I'm using is
GNU groff version 1.22.2GNU grops (groff) version 1.22.2GNU troff (groff)
version 1.22.2
on Ubuntu 14.10 (64-bit)
I tried your example and I get, with both troff and nroff,
name expected (got a special character)
Regards,--dorai

     On Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:56 AM, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden>
wrote:

 Hi Dorai,

> Is this planned? Section 5.4 of the manual suggests that "almost any
> printable character" can be used, with the exception of spaces and
> such, but I found that even an ordinary-looking character like the
> pilcrow (U+00b6) creates error.

What encoding is your input?  Can you give an example?  This worked for
me.

    $ nroff
    .pl 1
    .de ¶
    .ce
    ..
    .¶
    foo
    ^D
                                  foo

    $

Now, that's actually two bytes as far as nroff is concerned, UTF-8
encoding here means it gets 0xc2 0xb6.  But I can give it the single
0xb6 too and it still works.

    $ printf '%s\n' '.pl 1' '.de @' .ce .. .@ foo |
    > perl -pe 's/@/\xb6/g' |
    > nroff