Re: [Groff] conditionals inside a table?

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] conditionals inside a table?
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 10:41:51 -0500

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 03:06:08PM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > Is this included into any of the man pages.  I tried to find, but
> > couldn't, but I haven't searched all of groff man pages.
>
> I don't think all of groff's GNU info information is duplicated in the
> man pages.

Man pages were never intended to replace all documentation.
But they do serve as an excellent kicking off point.
I knew the answer, but steps to look for supporting documentation were:

        man 7 groff

search for the single letter  u :
        /\<u\>

found
        u         Basic unit for actual output device

searched for variations of the word  unit :
        /\<unit

found several mentions of "basic units"

Googled
         groff basic units u

saw
        The GNU Troff Manual: Measurements
        https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/.../Measurements.html GNU
        Most numeric parameters may have a measurement unit attached. ... This
        basic unit, represented by a ' u ', is a device dependent measurement,
        which is quite small, ranging from 1/75th to 1/72000th of an ... Ens.
        In groff , this is half of an em.

That's what I pointed you to which happens to be contained in
         info groff > groff.txt

which is what Ralph suggested.

Many roads lead to ...

--