Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 15:32:25 +0100 (CET)

Steffen Nurpmeso <address@hidden> wrote:

> For S-roff i can say that yes, i'm open and want such an
> extension, but i will not tear up the parsers that yet exist in
> order to do so.
> I'm not yet sure but i think introducing the $ extension trigger
> seems to be a way to get this going, introducing some "outer
> state" which can be recalled once the existing parser(s) are done.
>
> Maybe $ should be turned into a two-letter mode first, however,
> say $( to mean "grouping", $r "regular expression", $c the already
> implemented string-case thing.  That would be even better (though
> even uglier).

The problem that I see is that the ".if statement" does work according the
specification but not as expected for those who do not read the documentation
carefully.  So I do not want do introduce a new syntax for that, just include
"!" and string compare inside expressions.  Yes, the current syntax and
precedence is strange, but once you are used to it it's not an issue anymore.
But the missing "!" and string compare inside expressions leads to problems
which are not just comfort issues.

Carsten