Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 20:12:13 +0000

Hi Keith,

> > Hmm, does that mean the argv[] processing in groff's code is a place
> > to transliterate when it's known to be a filename?
>
> How can that possibly be known?  When argv[] processing is performed,
> all we see is a sequence of strings; they have no semantic meaning.

At some point, the code decides to pluck an argv[] element intending to
use it as a filename?

> Perhaps Eli's explanation is overly simplistic.  In reality, cmd.exe
> doesn't process those directory separators, no matter whether they are
> specified as slashes, (as POSIX and $DEITY mandate), or reversed
> slashes, (as Microsoft recommend); that is actually the responsibility
> of the application which is invoked.

What about with the for-loop example he gave?  I assumed it was cmd.exe
that implemented the loop and needed a\b\c\*.tr to understand how to
glob it?  IOW, there the user didn't have the discretion to glob
a/b/c/*.tr.

Cheers, Ralph.