Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 17:57:12 +0200

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 13:50:48 +0100
> From: Steffen Nurpmeso <address@hidden>
>
> Doug McIlroy <address@hidden> wrote:
>  |* For a ludicrous example, when I type my own name,
>  | M. Douglas McIlroy
>  |at the beginning of a line--as for a signature or author line--
>  |Open Office thinks that I've begun a paragraph numbered with
>  |a Roman numeral, and proceeds to tack "MI." onto the beginning
>  |of the next line!
>  |Groff has blessidly little AI. Let's keep it so.
>
> This example is terrible

Let's keep this in proportion: the problem is not as horrible as it
might sound.  More often than not, this "auto-correction" feature is
very good, it fixes minor typos like exchanging letters, failure to
start a sentence from a capital letter, etc.  When it goes bad, you
can always insist on your spelling, and you can selectively turn off
some of the more "viral" correction types.