Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strange error messages from Groff 1.22.3
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 07:30:57 +0100 (CET)

> It is safe to convert backslashes to slashes only when it is known
> that the literal string is indeed a file name. This condition holds
> for command arguments, but not for groff input text. "Fixing" .lf
> commands is of a piece with the maddening AI of Microsoft Word and
> Open Office, which think that they know what you mean.*

Fortunately, Eli has a lot of experience with such issues.

> If .lf requests get fixed, should not .so requests be fixed too?

`.lf' *itself* stays completely unchanged!  Only the programs that
insert `.lf' requests are fixed so that the filename argument contains
no backslashes.

Consequently, there won't be changes to `.so' either.

> To return to my first sentence.  It may be reasonable to
> canonicalize file-name command arguments in groff and preprocessors.

As far as we can see, only s|\|/| is necessary.