Re: [Groff] pic: No white space allowed between . and PS?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic: No white space allowed between . and PS?
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 14:27:48 +0100

Carsten Kunze <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Yes.  But generally it can be expected that spaces between \
 |. and a macro name doesn't matter.

I agree with you here.

 |I disagree with the last part of the sentence.  For you as \
 |an expert the above is true.  For the non-expert user the \
 |opposite may be true--there is no reason that they *do not* behave the same.

Absolutely.  Users should feel free, it is hard and cryptic enough
even without such unsucked corners.

 |If someone says that for traditional reasons it *must not* \
 |be implemented--ok.  But else--I think for consistency it \
 |could be allowd some day to insert spaces here.

S-roff will do that; now the comfort is on my side, you would have
to change four roffs instead :)

--steffen
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Groff] pic: No white space allowed between . and PS? Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:36:41 +0100 (CET)
Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Pic(1) says:
>
>   Each picture starts with a line beginning with .PS and
>   ends with a line beginning with .PE.  Anything outside
>   of .PS and .PE is passed through without change.

Yes.  But generally it can be expected that spaces between . and a macro name
doesn't matter.

> There's no mention of spaces between the dot and PS/PE being
> allowed.

This may be mentioned elsewhere for requests and macros in general.

>  The troff code which reads and interprets lines is
> entirely different from the pic code that scans for .PS and
> .PE, so there is no reason to assume they behave the same.

I disagree with the last part of the sentence.  For you as an expert the above
is true.  For the non-expert user the opposite may be true--there is no reason
that they *do not* behave the same.

> That gtroff allows those spaces is an extension to the original
> troff spec, and in gpic it was simply not implemented to date.

Maybe I get you wrong, but spaces between . and macronames are possible in any
*roff.  (I don't know if it is written in the spec...)

If someone says that for traditional reasons it *must not* be implemented--ok.
But else--I think for consistency it could be allowd some day to insert spaces
here.

Carsten

--- End Message ---