Re: [Groff] new groff release soon

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] new groff release soon
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 08:11:07 +0200 (CEST)

>> > 7. Finally, I made *.cmd batch files for most Perl and shell
>> >    scripts installed in bin/, since otherwise those scripts will
>> >    be almost unusable from the native Windows shell.  Would you
>> >    accept those batch files for inclusion in Groff, and add them
>> >    to "make install" on Windows?  Most of the batch files are
>> >    simple one-liners, to invoke Perl on the respective script.
>>
>> Yes, please send them to the list, together with changes to the
>> Makefile(s) if necessary.
>
> OK, but I need some guidance as to where in the tree to put these
> files,

I suggest `arch/mingw'.

> and in which of the Makefile.* files to add the necessary
> rules.

Have a look how e.g. `make_htmldoc' is set up.  Something similar is
needed for the `.cmd' files also so that it gets installed (and
uninstalled) only for a MinGW compilation.

- in `m4/groff.m4', add a function named `GROFF_MINGW_CMD_FILES' or
  the like that defines the variables `make_winscripts',
  `make_install_winscripts', and `make_uninstall_winscripts', which
  hold the make targets `winscripts', `install_winscripts', and
  `uninstall_winscripts', respectively, depending on the platform

- add `GROFF_MINGW_CMD_FILES' to `configure.ac'

- in `Makefile.in', add the triplet

    address@hidden@
    address@hidden@
    address@hidden@

  and insert those three values to `MDEFINES'

- add the `arch/mingw' directory to the `OTHERDIRS' variable in
  `Makefile.in'.

- put a `Makefile.sub' file into `arch/mingw'; you might use
  e.g. `contrib/eqn2graph/Makefile.sub' as template, with the
  necessary dependency stuff as for `xxx_htmldoc' in
  `doc/Makefile.sub'

    WINSCRIPTS = foo1.cmd \
                 foo2.cmd \

    all: $(make_winscripts)
    install_data: $(make_install_winscripts)
    uninstall_sub: $(make_uninstall_winscripts)

    winscripts: $(WINSCRIPTS)

    install_winscripts: $(WINSCRIPTS)
            ... install stuff ...

    uninstall_winscripts: