Re: [Groff] Documentation for -mom

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Documentation for -mom
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 15:31:59 +0100

Hi Ingo,

> > Remember the bad old days of FVWM, with its humungous, unindexed,
> > un-cross-linked manpage?  It was correct, complete, concise (despite
> > its length), easy to access--and pure, off-putting hell to wade
> > through.
>
> Heh, i'm using fvwm right as i'm typing here.  It just works.  I guess
> i used the manual once, when i wrote my fvwm config file from scratch,
> and i don't remember any issues with it.

I tend to find they're searchable fairly easily.

    /^BUGS/
    /^   Exponentiation/
    /^ *-a /

And there's less's vi-like marks to store the current location and
return to it.

> You don't need to install less(1) if your system doesn't have it by
> default; more(1) is part of POSIX.

Mmm, but I remember reading man pages with more on old systems;  POSIX
doesn't require the ability to move backwards on non-seekable input.
Very tedious to quit and start again at the top.

Cheers, Ralph.