Re: [Groff] release ready

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] release ready
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 11:11:48 +0200 (CEST)

> When running
>
> texi2pdf -e groff.texinfo
>
> I get:
> sed: RE error: illegal byte sequence

[Uh, oh, another case where people mix up `illegal' with `invalid'.
 But perhaps in the US there isn't a big difference, given how many
 people are sitting in jail...]

> This used to work on MacOS 10.6.

Well, this looks like a bug in the texi2pdf script.  What texinfo
version are you using?  Please report it to the texinfo people.

> What is the difference?

We have latin-1 characters in groff.texinfo, and it seems texi2pdf
doesn't like this on MacOS.  Either the script should set `LANG=C' (or
better `LC_ALL=C') unconditionally, or texi2pdf should scan the input
file whether there is a address@hidden' line so that it can adjust
the locale accordingly.

Anyways, I've added slightly updated the Makefile to have a `LANG='
for creating groff.pdf also.

> echo $LANG
> de_DE.UTF-8
>
> When I
> export LANG=C
>
> everything is fine.
>
> With this change make install works without problems.

texi2pdf (or rather `texi2dvi --pdf') isn't used at all in groff's
`make install', so you are addressing the wrong people :-)

Note that creating `groff.pdf' currently fails with version 5.x of
makeinfo.  Will try to fix this soon.