Re: [Groff] first steps for preparing a new release

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] first steps for preparing a new release
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 00:04:00 +0200

> Von: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
>
>   . The `gideal' preprocessor is a stub only right now, not providing
>     any real functionality, as far as I can see.  Interestingly, it
>     has already version number 0.9.9 – I would rather expect 0.0.1...
>
>     For this reason I suggest that it doesn't get added to the
>     tarball.  Bernd?

I made already many releases 0.9.0 to 0.9.9.  For some files, I got
license trouble, that's were these many version numbers arose.  I recently
extended the documentation with a mathematical part, but the ideal language
must still be added and the preprocessors was not yet even started.
The development will take some time.

I understand that a not yet complete preprocessor is nothing good for the
coming groff 0.1.23, so I already removed it temporarily.  I will add it
later, when the preprocessor will run.

>   . I tried to test `gpinyin', but I get a fatal error:
>
>       Can't locate IPC/System/Simple.pm in @INC
>       (@INC contains:
>         /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
>         /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2
>         /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
>         /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.16.2
>         /usr/lib/perl5/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
>         /usr/lib/perl5/5.16.2
>         /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2/i586-linux-thread-multi
>         /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.16.2
>         /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
>         .) at ./gpinyin line 55.
>       BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./gpinyin line 55.
>
>     I think I have a fairly normal Perl installation, and the `IPC'
>     module is not installed – I specifically had to install the
>     `perl-IPC-System-Simple' package on my openSuSE box.

Thankx for this bug report.  I always installed almost all available
Perl packages from my Kubuntu distributions, so I never got these
errors.

>     Not sure how this can be solved easily.  Of course, the best
>     solution would be that gpinyin doesn't use the IPC module (for
>     inter-process communication) at all – is it really necessary?  And
>     is it portable to non-Unix hosts?  Having a preprocessor not
>     working on Windows would be bad.
>
>     The same problem is with `gperl'.
>
>     If this IPC module is a must, what about making gpinyin emit the
>     following on stderr:
>
>         gpinyin: Perl module `IPC' not found.  Say
>
>                    XXX
>
>                  to download and install this module.
>
>     Of course, this only works if there is a universal way to install
>     perl modules, regardless of the platform...

No idea so far, I will try to fix that.  Thankx for testing.

Bernd Warken