Re: [Groff] /usr/local/share/doc/groff-1.22.2

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] /usr/local/share/doc/groff-1.22.2
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 17:15:22 -0400

Hi.

I don't know whether this will have an impact on the discussion in
this thread, but here's something I just got today from a FreeBSD
user.  He wanted to use a testing version of om.tmac I'd sent him.

 "The old version of groff installed as part of the base system,
  namely version 1.19.2, uses the tmac location of /usr/share/tmac.
  The newly-installed version of 1.22.2 from ports uses the tmac
  location of /usr/local/share/groff/1.22.2/tmac, undoubtedly
  through some PATH settings that are not clear to me.  That way
  each version finds its proper set of macros, and each program
  functions properly.

  What I tried to do was stuff om.tmac into the location expected by
  groff 1.19.2.  That is the wrong location.  When I put it into the
  location expected by 1.22.2, it works the way it should.

  This is not obvious from the ports "documentation," so others may
  get bitten by it as well."

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca