Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 08:26:49 +0200 (CEST)

> Commited with your fixes on master.

Thanks!

>> Please use two spaces after a full sentence stop.
>
> It's OK for me to use 2 spaces after a full sentence.  But I'm not used
> to it, I've always been taught to use a single-space after a full stop
> (French spacing ?!).  I've just noticed that a lot of people on the list
> use 2 spaces after a full stop.  What is the main reason ?  I googled on
> this subject, I found out that two spaces are more traditional but less
> and less used.  Also, isn't groff by default displaying a single space
> after a full stop ?

The main reason is to make an editor's `end of sentence' feature work,
this is, to move forward or backward in `sentence units'.  With only a
single space, you would stop at abbreviations also.

For similar reasons, you shouldn't insert a space before `?' or `!'
while writing English texts: This feature only exists in French
typography, and other locales probably don't know that there must be
no break at the space before such punctuation characters.

Note that we are talking about *input* conventions.  If you process
the text with a formatter, those spaces should vanish, of course (and
in a French locale, proper whitespace before punctuation characters
should be automatically inserted).