Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 03:17:48 +0100

It's really off topic, but in the UK in the 1980s, the printers strike
meant the the end of expert typography. The hot metal traditional
expert typography was replaced by crumbly computer software and 500
years of the art and craft of it was lost --- well it was still there
but unknown to the person in the street who assumed universal
publishing power --- ignorant of the difference and meaning of hyphens
and dashes, when to use allcaps, etc, etc --- assuming the "word
processor" was always right... and the appreciation of appropriate
fonts (never use *r**l or t*m*s) was unheard of. This expands on what
Clarke says --- it's not just in the USA, but other English speaking
dialects.  What have other Western language authors have to say about
this decline?

Apologies for the rant

Denis