Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:52:10 +0200

Hello Werner,

On Tue, Sep 30 2014 at 08:02:24 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> -> So, should I try to support this old behavior (looking for
>>   libX11), or should I directly write something very simple, like
>>   looking for app-defaults in a few defaults directory like
>>   /usr/share/X11, /usr/lib/X11, /etc/X11 (this was my first
>>   intention) ? Note that the possibility to use --with-appresdir is
>>   still there.
>
> Basically, I don't care :-)
>
>> Second point, we had this whole discussion because the build system
>> installed unconditionaly X11 resources in the main install tree, no
>> matter what prefix you put, forcing the use of DESTDIR when calling
>> 'make distcheck'.
>>
>> -> Should we keep this behaviour, or should we add the prefix to
>> appresdir (I would favour this second option) ?
>
> Again, I don't care, as long as `configure' spits out the correct
> message at the very end.  Maybe it makes sense to add an entry to the
> `NEWS' file.
>
> Given that we are going to use your branch soon, you can introduce the
> new behaviour right now.

Here is a patch where I implement a very simple solution, just moving
appresdir to $prefix/lib/X11/app-defaults. The behaviour
of--with-appresdir is unchanged, so package maintainers should not be
disturbed by this change.

I've also updated the NEWS file, and the message at the end of
configure.

If it's OK, I'll commit this patch on master and report it on
automake2.

Bertrand Garrigues