Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:15:22 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:52:49AM +0200, Bertrand Garrigues wrote:
> Hi Ulrich,
>

> No, you found a bug ...
>
> > not to use "make clean" after changing the prefix; or missing
> > dependencies?
>
> The groff binary is not rebuilt, because defs.h was not regenerated, and
> thus defs.h still have the old paths. On master, defs.h is forced to be
> rebuilt.
>
> defs.h: FORCE
> [...]
> FORCE:
>
> I tried another solution, adding a dependency between defs.h and
> config.status (config.status is generated by configure). It works on my
> environment, could you please test it ?

o.k. I'll test it.
> > 2.
> > I then tried
> >         make clean; ./configure --prefix=/home/privat/groff_test; make;
> >         make install
> > and got
> >         Failed to open
> > /home/privat/groff_test/share/groff/site-font/devps/DESC:
> >         No such file or directory
> >
> > 3.
> > Finally I did
> >         make distclean; ./configure --prefix=/home/privat/groff_test; make;
> >         make install
> > and got the same result:
> >         Failed to open
> > /home/privat/groff_test/share/groff/site-font/devps/DESC:
> >         No such file or directory
> >
> > The directory /home/privat/groff_test/share/groff/site-font exists, but is
> > empty.
> >
> > The needed DESC-file is in groff_test/share/groff/1.22.2/font/devps,
> > not in                     groff_test/share/groff/site-font/devps
>
> Calling 'make clean' or 'make distclean' fixed your problem. The error
> message you got (missing file in site-font) is normal and comes from the
> additional traces I gave you. We first try to use the fonts in site-font
> in priority (directory where the user can manually add its own fonts),
> and then only the default directory in share/groff/1.22.2/font/devps.

As I understand the patch leads to termination when the file is not found in
site-font.
Wouldn't it be better to terminate only after all possible places have been
checked and
then give a message "DESC could neither be found in site-font nor in
/share/groff/1.22.2/font"
or similar and then keep this code in the official version?

> Regards,

        ulrich