Re: [Groff] [heirloom] getting dashes when a line is requested

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] [heirloom] getting dashes when a line is requested
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:15:06 +0200 (CEST)

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> > It looks broken into dashes on the PDF for me.
>
> Different PDF viewers show it differently IME.  And zoom level matters
> too.  Here with evince,
>
>     A\(em\h'-\w'\(em'/2'\(emB
>     A\(em\(emB
>
> shows as darker on the overlap with the first line, and also very
> slightly where the two em-dashes meet on the second line.  xmag(1) may
> be useful to see the anti-aliasing employed.  But if I zoom in as far as
> possible, both lines are solid black, no anti-aliasing grey, and no
> discernable join.

Thanks for the infos, Ralph!

Maybe Blake is right here, documents are mainly view on the monitor today and
there the dashes do not look professional anymore.

It should not be a problem to change the \l,\L commands (or what is used in
tbl) to \D'l ...'.  The \D request works correctly.

(Hopefully Blake doesn't test eqn, there are a lot more problems (in all
ditroff variants) ...)

   Carsten