Re: [Groff] new automake system

From: Bertrand Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Groff] new automake system
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:45:01 +0200

Hi Ulrich,

On Mon, Sep 22 2014 at 05:09:31 PM, Ulrich Lauther <address@hidden> wrote:
> To make this work on my ubuntu 12.04 LTS „Precise Pangolin“ system I
> had to apt-get install autoconf automake libtool texinfo bison flex
>
> and then to install automake 1.12.2 from source, as the version 1.11.3
> that came with apt-get install autoconf was rejected as too old.

Yes, I've set automake 1.12.2 as the minimum version to be used in
bootsrap.conf, for two reasons:
 - A few months ago, I've also made some quick tests on an ubuntu 12.04,
 and I had some strange errors (didn't debug much).
 - On the automake site they say that version 1.11.6 and version 1.12.2
 fix security issues, so I though that it wasn't a good idea to try to
 use versions older than 1.12.2 anyway.

Be careful now, if you intend to let automake 1.12.2 on your 12.04 LTS
you will need to upgrade libtool too, otherwise you will have
inconsistencies between these two tools. I had errors when trying to
build packages that use libtool (it's not the case of groff). I can't
say which version of libtool I installed because it wasn't on my main
PC, but I can tell you tomorrow.

Bertrand Garrigues