Re: [Groff] [groff] 01/01: Makefile.sub in whole groff source tree: add

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] 01/01: Makefile.sub in whole groff source tree: add $(RM) and change all `rm -f'. Add directory test before `rmdir'.
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 17:48:30 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
 |> --- a/contrib/chem/Makefile.sub
 |> +++ b/contrib/chem/Makefile.sub
 |> @@ -29,6 +29,8 @@ MOSTLYCLEANADD=\
 |>    examples/README \
 |>    examples/122/README
 |>
 |> +RM=rm -f
 |
 |Bernd, are you aware that Steffen has done exactly the opposite in
 |commit efc407da104b7882a8139b7ba4b1e2909dfded76?  Unfortunately, I no
 |longer can remember why he did the change (and there isn't an
 |explanation in the ChangeLog)...

It was not used consistently all across the codebase.

.. And also i personally don't see the point in adding a make
variable for a single program, whereas all others are fixed.
So -- if you want to change the way program xy behaves, write
a shell script that behaves the way you want and place it first in
PATH=.

 |Note that `RM' should be rather defined once in a top-level Makefile
 |and not many times in the various `Makefile.sub' files.

But that would also be a point of mine, otherwise.
Have a nice rest weekend!

--steffen