Re: [Groff] broken interaction between line numbering and diversions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] broken interaction between line numbering and diversions
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:40:42 +0200 (CEST)

> When I opened a report in the bug tracker on this, Werner responded
> that this is working as designed.

I still think so.

> While I understand the design of how diversions are implemented, and
> why that implementation might produce these results, I contend that
> this design is so poor as to be fundamentally broken, for the
> following reasons:

I disagree.  As has already mentioned by others, diversions hold
formatted data, and obviously the line number belongs to the
formatting.

>  - It behaves in a manner that no real-world user would ever want.

Then you are abusing diversions.  Diversions can be converted back to
unformatted text only to a certain extent (cf. the `unformat' macro).

It would be interesting to see your real-case situation.  Can you
elaborate on that?