Re: [Groff] Documenting the Source.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Documenting the Source.
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 06:45:33 +0200 (CEST)

> I think what's missing is a higher-level view of how the source fits
> together, and that's probably why Werner's enthusiastic about a
> comment-block per class.

Exactly.

> Perhaps those on the list that can grok C could have a go at doing
> Werner's class comments, [...]  But would it require copyright
> assignment?  That's been a stumbling block for me in the past.  Mind
> you, Bradley M. Kuhn, an FSF board member, wrote
> http://ebb.org/bkuhn/blog/2014/06/09/do-not-need-cla.html so perhaps
> there's movement there.  :-)

Nice article!  For comments only, no copyright assignment is needed, I
reckon.  However, for any *code* contribution that exceeds some
triviality (normally supposed to be around 10 lines of functional
code), the FSF wants papers.  And groff is the FSF's baby, so I can't
change this.  It's not my decision, but ultimately the lawyers Richard
Stallman is listening to want that.  And those lawyers' positions are
moving slower than glaciers.

Inspite of this, it's getting easier meanwhile: For Germany and the
USA, the copyright assignment process no longer needs written papers
sent by normal mail; a scan of a signed document sent by e-mail is now
sufficient.  I guess other countries will follow in the not too
distant future.