Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014

From: Ulrich Lauther
Subject: Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:01:37 +0200

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:16:06PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > you may be right about setter()/getter() usage;
>
> He is definitely right! :-)
>
> > other modifications would really improve readability and
> > maintainability:
> >         - capitalization of class names
> >         - a naming convention for class member variables
>
> Mhmm, this is much work, and I don't see immediate benefits.  IMHO,
> groff's C++ code is quite clear, and I ask you to show an example
> where `readability and maintainability' could be *really* improved by
> using uppercased stuff – I need more than a `we have learnt that in
> school' to be convinced.

I didn't learn it school (when I went to school, computer science was not yet
around) but
the hard way in 30 years of C++ programming.

>  Additionally, `git blame' would become much more inconvenient to use.

I am not familiar with git and git blame, used cvs in my active time.
Could you explain, what the problem with upper case class names and git blame
would be?

> >         - reducing the number of global variables
>
> Why?  Again, please provide an example that could benefit.

because it is toublesome to find out where they are initialized, modified, and
read.

        ulrich