Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 00:35:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Peter!

> Out of that discussion came Doug's excellent suggestion for a new
> primitive, '.decor' or similarly named, that's extensible so various
> kinds of decoration can be applied to text, not just underlining
> (which, IMO, groff seriously needs).  [...]

Such suggestions or feature requests should be added to the bug
tracker.

> On a similar note, Ulrich Lautner stepped forward to take on
> implementing a modified version of Knuth-Plass.  [...]

Ditto.

>   So groff could benefit from some refactoring."

Ditto.

> He's probably right about refactoring, but the more important issue
> is: who, on the list, feels qualified to point him in the right
> direction within the code for work on formatting?

He might present some suggestions on the list; it's easy then to
comment.

> [Vaibhaw mentions] an apparent lack of organization.  It's true.  We
> have, for a really long time, essentially been self-organizing.
> It's worked well and reflects an ethos to which most of us, I think,
> subscribe.  However, just now, it's somewhat counterproductive.

Not really IMHO: By identifying small tasks that can be handled by
individuals, clashes should rarely happen.  And again: an issue in the
tracker can be assigned to a developer, provided the issue has been
registered there.  So I really ask interested people to add more
reports, suggestions, feature requests, etc., to the tracker!

  https://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=groff