Re: [Groff] [groff] 01/01: In groff source top directory add Emacs setti

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] [groff] 01/01: In groff source top directory add Emacs settings for most text files.
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 00:40:19 +0200

> Von: "Ingo Schwarze" <address@hidden>
> > Bernd Warken wrote on Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 05:03:50PM +0000:

> >     In groff source top directory add Emacs settings for most text files.
>
> Almost all of this commit seems wrong, please revert.

The file addition seem to be reasonable, why not use them?

> The following files are not UTF-8, bus US-ASCII encoded:
>
> BUG-REPORT
> FDL
> INSTALL
> INSTALL.REPO
> INSTALL.gen
> MANIFEST
> MORE.STUFF
> PROBLEMS
> PROJECTS
> README
> README.MinGW

Fine, the utf-8 line in the top directory documents can easily be
removed.  What about the Makefiles?

> In addition to that, it is widely considered bad style to add
> annotations suitable only for one particular editor to end-user
> visible files.

Many groff source files used this Emacs settings for really many
years.

> Besides, in a new work, copyright is only applicable if the work
> exceeds a threshold of originality[1].  In a derived work, copyright
> is only applicable to the changes and additions if these changes
> and additions exceed a threshold of originality.  Addition of
> boilerplate text like

Yeah, I made some documents in copyright 1989-2014 or 1993-2014.
This should be changed to only 2014.

> > +##### Emacs settings
> > +Local Variables:
> > +mode: text
> > +coding: utf-8
> > +End:
>
> appears to me as a textbook example of an addition that is *not*
> copyrightable, no matter whether you use the "originality" or the
> "sweat of the brow" doctrine.  Consequently, bumping the list of
> copyright years in such a case is a misrepresentation of the legal
> situation - unless you bumped based on some *other*, indeed
> copyrightable change, but a quick "git log -- FDL" gives me the
> impression that is not the case.

So I will change NEWS and ./src/roff/groff/Makefile.sub into the
only copyright year 2014.

Moreover IK will remove the utf-8 line in all top documents.
But I will keep the Emacs mode setting.

Thanx so far.

Bernd Warken