Re: [Groff] Extending refer

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Extending refer
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:49:48 +0200 (CEST)

> The following extensions of refer exist in Heirloom and the known
> refer history.
>
> 1) `refer.man' cites under `FILES':
> file.i                   Index files.
>
> But I couldn't find this file type and no documentation for them.

Those files are created by `indxbib'.

> 2) `refer.man' cites under `FILES':
> /usr/dict/papers/Ind     Default database.
>
> That file does not exist.  The directory for such a file should
> be in the groff directory under /usr/local/share.

Mhmm.  Basically, you are right.  However, given that groff's `refer'
implementation doesn't come with a default database, I see no urgent
reason to change that.  For practically all purposes, you don't use
the default but your own one, which can be specified with option `-p'.

> 3) Moreover some `refer' database directory would be nice.

This would be useful.

> 4) The programs in Heirloom and refer history
> - addbib
> - roffbib
> - sortbib
> might be useful as well.

Maybe, but there was no single request to add them over the years...