Re: [Groff] What is the current state of Unicode support in Groff?

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] What is the current state of Unicode support in Groff?
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 13:26:35 +0200

> I should have said, for PostScript I think that can be a
> problem with "symbol" fonts being needed?

Traditionally, Postscript is mostly agnostic with regard to
predefined encodings.  Glyphs normally have human-readable
names, and the standard "show" operator works with strings,
which are simply byte-arrays.  Translation of the byte-integers
into glyphs is done by an encoding vector, which you are free
to set up any way you like.  So the limit is that you can
only work with a maximum of 256 glyphs at the same time, but
you can easily switch fonts, and you can also have multiple
copies of the same font, each with a different encoding,
and switch between those.

As to which glyphs are available in a particular font,
that's of course up to the font designer to decide.