Re: [Groff] What is the current state of Unicode support in Groff?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] What is the current state of Unicode support in Groff?
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 00:04:36 +0100

Hi Mike,

> I've not kept up with the current Unicode state of groff.
> Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

groff(1) has a -k option (and -K) that kicks off preconv(1) as a
preprocessor for the input.

    $ echo Local currency is the £. | preconv
    .lf 1 -
    Local currency is the \[u00A3].
    $
    $ echo Local currency is the £. | groff -k | grep -A 1 Local
    /F0 10/address@hidden SF(Local currenc)72 12 Q 2.5(yi)-.15 G 2.5(st)-2.5
    G(he \243.)-2.5 E 0 Cg EP
    $

It helps a lot with reading UTF-8 if the output devices support the
runes.

Cheers, Ralph.