Re: [Groff] W.: [bug #42978] tbl does not restore the tab settings

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: Re: [Groff] W.: [bug #42978] tbl does not restore the tab settings
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 22:45:05 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Ralph,

> Yes, I don't think it can be done in portable troff as the current
> positions aren't available to be saved.

I don't know anything about the man macros (not even usage ;) but if they use
tabs on their own and use a variable for .ta as argument they could indeed save
and restore the setting by defining .TS and .TE?

I can understand if someone is a little bit disappointed that tbl silently
changes the tab setting.  Maybe the appropriate macro package could be improved
a little bit.  Or do you see a portability problem also?

Cheers,
Carsten